The role of BRICS in the developing world
Abstract: The role of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) as emerging protagonists in international development cooperation is significantly and rapidly changing. Over the last decade, BRICS have increased their financial as well as technical assistance and established distinct ways and means of economic cooperation, especially through south- south-cooperation with Low Income Countries (LIC). BRICS are striving for more political influence, thereby challenging traditional western donors such as the EU. BRICS impact on LICs through trade, foreign direct investment and development financing are significant and these south-south-efforts need to be reflected in EU development strategies. The high level conferences in Paris, Accra and Monterrey have not appreciated BRICS’ role as emerging donors, but the Busan Global Partnership strategy has considered obvious changes in global development architecture more openly. Size, key areas and institutional settings of foreign assistance are differing among BRICS. The overall focus of development cooperation lies on neighbouring countries, regional integration and technical assistance. Economic growth is perceived to be crucial for sustainable development; non-interference and national sovereignty are guiding principles. Eye-to-eye level dialogue and trilateral settings of cooperation are means of addressing BRICS as new stakeholder in 21st century development politics.
- Publication year: 2012
- Publication Type: Research Paper (India part of the report)
- Form of Cooperation: Comprehensive (Lines of credit, grants and loans, and technical assistance).
- Cooperation Context: Multilateral
- Sector: Multi-sectorial
- The Institution (Publication): European Union
- Author (and co-authors): Dr Pedro Morazan, Irene Knoke, Doris Knoblauch & Thobias Schafer
- Keywords: South-South development cooperation; BRICS; Challenges of development cooperation; Global EU-ODA; Impact of BRICS on global development cooperation
- Link: https://www.ab.gov.tr/files/ardb/evt/1_avrupa_birligi/1_9_politikalar/1_9_8_dis_politika/The_role_of_BRICS_in_the_developing_world.pdf