India’s Economic Diplomacy with Ethiopia
Abstract: Indian President Ram Nath Kovind visited Ethiopia from October 4-6, 2017, marking a new era in India-Ethiopia bilateral relations. This visit is important considering India’s long historic and cultural ties, as well as the rising economic and commercial linkages with this strategically important country in the Horn of Africa. Interestingly, Ethiopia also qualifies as the largest recipient of India’s Lines of Credit (LOC) in Africa, which points to the importance of the country in India’s foreign policy calculus.
- Publication year: 2018
- Publication Type: Article (Commentary)
- Form of Cooperation: Comprehensive (Lines of credit, grants and loans, and technical assistance).
- Cooperation Context: Bilateral (Ethiopia)
- Region (Recipient country): Africa
- Sector: Multi-sectoral
- The Institution (Publication): Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA)
- Author (and co-authors): Chithra Purushothaman
- Keywords: South-South cooperation; India- Ethiopia development partnership; Trade and investment; technical assistance
- Link: https://idsa.in/africatrends/indias-economic-diplomacy-with-ethiopia